Tuesday 19 August 2008

Sunset pochade painting


Having completed 2 little pochade paintings looking across towards Southerndown and Nash Point, I moved along the cliff to where I knew the sun would set over Porthcawl. I've tried painting sunsets before, but they've always looked a bit naff. Watercolours just ran together and went green, pastels looked like kids paintings,and I've generally ended up relying on photos. But this time, as a fresh convert to oil painting I wanted to see how I'd manage. I loved it. The paint stays exactly where it's put, but still let me blur some areas together. The sun was a glorious golden globe hanging over Porthcawl Harbour for what seemed ages, and then hastened it's descent, burning out the dark of the headland in its path, and tipping the waves with liquid gold. My brush sped over the palette, I think I held my breath, trying to get it all down in time. Arrayed across the beach and cliffs, everyone watched the sun setting. After a week of gales and rain, it was a magical oasis. How lucky I am to have all this on my doorstep.

No comments: